The Sarvadarshanasamgraha of Madhavacharyaby: E.B. Cowell , A.E. Gough
This book is an interesting specimen of Hindu critical ability. It presents the synopsis of sixteen philosophical systems that were current in the fourteenth-century south India in their most important tenets and maintains the principal arguments by which their followers were endeavoured to maintain them.
Year Of Publication: 2015
Edition: 1st edition
Pages : xviii, 300
Bibliographic Details : Index
Language : English
Binding : Hardcover
Publisher: D.K. Printworld Pvt. Ltd.
The Sarvadarshanasamgraha of Madhavacharya is an interesting specimen of Hindu critical ability. The author herein presents the synopsis of sixteen Charvaka, Bauddha, Jaina, Ramanuja, Purnaprajna, Pashupata, Shaiva, Pratyabhijna, Raseshvara, Vaisheshika, Nyaya, Jaiminiya, Paniniya, Samkhya, Patanjala and Advaita philosophical systems current in the fourteenth-century south India in their most important tenets and maintains the principal arguments by which their followers were endeavoured to maintain them. In course of his sketches of these systems, Madhavacharya frequently explains at length obscure details of these different systems.
Sarvadarshanasamgraha presents all these Darshanas from the Vedantic point of view. These had attracted to their study the noblest minds in India throughout the medieval period of its history. There were numerous sects of Bauddha, Jaina, and Hindu philosophical systems and we come across many of them in this book.
This present retypeset edition is quite reader-friendly as we have made a few changes to this edition as value-adds and by incorporating the present-day diacritics.
This English translation of Sarvadarshanasamgraha must evoke keen interest among scholars of philosophy, and researchers and students of philosophy across the globe.
1. The Charvaka System (E.B.C.)
2. The Bauddha System (A.E.G.)
3. The Arhata or Jaina System (E.B.C.)
4. The Ramanuja System (A.E.G.)
5. The Purnaprajna System (A.E.G.)
6. The Nakulisha-Pashupata System (A.E.G.)
7. The Shaiva-Darshana System (E.B.C.)
8. The Pratyabhijna-Darshana (Recognitive System) (A.E.G.)
9. The Raseshvara-Darshana (Mercurial System) (A.E.G.)
10. The Vaisheshika or Aulukya-Darshana (E.B.C.)
11. The Akshapada or Nyaya-Darshana (E.B.C.)
12. The Jaiminiya-Darshana (E.B.C.)
13. The Panini-Darshana (E.B.C.)
14. The Samkhya-Darshana (E.B.C.)
15. The Patanjala or Yoga-Darshana (E.B.C.)
16. The Vedanta or System of Shankaracharya (see Publishers Note)
Appendix: On the Upadhi (E.B.C.)