Valmiki RamayanaVoices and Visions by: Avadhesh Kumar Singh
This book reconsiders Valmiki Ramayana from different perspectives literary, aesthetic, ethical, comparative, interdisciplinary, religious, philosophical, social, and archaeological among others. In the process, it underscores significance of Ramayana from modern perspective, as it unveils its multilayered worlds.
Year Of Publication: 2017
Edition: 1st Edition
Pages : xii + 506 p.
Language : English
Binding : Hardcover
Publisher: D.K. Printworld Pvt. Ltd.
Foreword By : Index
Valmiki Ramayana, the first kavya (poetic composition) and the first mahakavya (epic) of the world, is an inexhaustible fountain of culture and knowledge. It has impacted infinite minds and souls in India and abroad, and continues to inspire and engage creative and critical minds, and will remain so for the ages to come.
Ramayana, along with standardizing Ramakatha, transcends history, geography and binaries of mode of thinking. Its appeal may be discerned from the fact that it exists in different versions in various regions and forms. Notwithstanding these versions, Valmiki Ramayana rules human heart and mind for its subject matter and manner of articulation.
The multilayered worlds of Ramayana make it a seedbed of ideas existing at various levels. Traversing generations, and getting interpreted anew in consonance with cultural needs and existential questions, it has earned serious critical consideration of scholars from different perspectives literary, aesthetic, ethical, comparative, interdisciplinary, religious, philosophical, moral, social, archaeological, and intermedial among many. Hence, it demands its reinterpretation by every generation. The present book is a testimony to it, and a response in this direction.
Consisting of scholarly papers by eminent intellectuals and with a perspicuous introduction, this book reconsiders Valmiki Ramayana from different perspectives, presented in a seminar on Ramayana that was organized with the blessings of Pujya Morari Bapu.
Introduction: Ramayana as the Inexhaustible Site of Knowledge and Wisdom
Avadhesh Kumar Singh
1. Valmikis Ramakatha: Origin and Development
Abhiraj Rajendra Mishra
2. Ramayana: Between Archaeology and Text
3. The Heritage of Valmiki Ramayana
4. Reinterpreting Ramakatha
5. Ramayana: The Voice of India
Indra Nath Choudhuri
6. Appreciation of Ramayana in Literary Tradition
7. Ramayana as Literature
8. Ramayana: A Meta-poetics Text
9. Tragic Elements in Ramayana
10. Political Sermon and Diplomatic Policies in the Ramayava with Reference to Ayodhyakanda and Kishkindhakanda
11. Gandharvam in the Ramayanam
12. Moral Values in Valmiki Ramayana
Satya Vrata Shastri
13. Spiritual Values in Valmiki Ramayana
14. Divine and Human in the Valmiki Ramayana
15. Etiquettes and Propriety in the Ramayana
16. Hanuman in Ramayana
17. Significance of Paduka in Ramayana
18. Womanhood in the Ramayana
19. The Family Relations in Valmiki Ramayana