Ramayana through the...
Ramayana through the AgesRama-Gatha in Different Versions by: Avadhesh Kumar Singh
The tradition of Rama-Katha existed in many folk and oral forms before Adikavi Valmiki wrote the Sanskrit Ramayana. The subsequent centuries witnessed composition of Ramayana in Tamil, Malayalam, Bengali, Assamese, Hindi, Kashmiri, Gujarati, Marathi, etc. This volume shares their many similarities and dissimilarites.
Year Of Publication: 2007
Pages : x, 374 p.
Bibliographic Details : Index
Language : English
Binding : Hardcover
Publisher: D.K. Printworld Pvt. Ltd.
The long and continuous tradition of Rama-Katha existed in many folk and oral forms before Adikavi Valmiki composed it in Sanskrit in written form as the Ramayana, a book of divine harmony . . . a bottomless and shoreless ocean of love, piety and clemency. The subsequent centuries witnessed composition of Ramayana in many Indian languages like Tamil, Malayalam, Bengali, Assamese, Hindi, Kashmiri, Gujarati and Marathi among others. These versions share many similarities and some dissimilarities among them, though their epicentral concerns remain the same.
The present volume comprising more than a dozen articles by distinguished scholars discuss Ramayana in different Indian languages. The volume, it is hoped, would lead to mutual illumination of Rama-Katha in different Indian languages and facilitate greater understanding of its timeless appeal and journey through ages.
1. Rama, his Carita, Manasa and Katha
— Avadhesh Kumar Singh
2. Valmiki Ramayana: The Sanskrit Epic
— Nagindas Sanghavi
3. Valmiki, the Sage and Kamban, the Artist
— D. Gnanasundaram
4. The Ramavatara and the Valmiki Ramayana: A Comparative Study
— Subhash Chander Sachdeva
5. Ranganatha Ramayanam : Telugu Ramayana
— K. Malayavasini
6. The Bengali Ramayana of Krittivasa
— Indra Nath Choudhuri
7. Madhava Kandalis Ramayana and Contemporary Society
8. Jagamohana Ramayana of Balarama Dasa: Inheritance and Innovation
— Sitakant Mahapatra
9. Ezhuthaccans Adhyatma Ramayana and the Ramayana Tradition
— K. Satchidanandan
10. Eknaths Bhavarth Ramayana
— Aruna Dhere
11. Rom-Sitma ni Varta: The Ramayana of the Bhils
— Bhagvandas Patel
12. The Girdhara Ramayana: A Critical Study
— Upendra N. Dave
13. Tulsidasas Rama-carita-manasa: An Overview
— Ambashankar Nagar
14. Rama and His Kathas: The Endless Saga
–Poojya Shri Morari Bapuji