Voice of Women...
Voice of WomenGargi to Gangasati by: Avadhesh Kumar Singh
This book contains articles that examine the contribution of women saints from India and abroad and discuss the origin of bhakti, the Bhakti Movement, theris, and bhakti/saint poetesses. Their contribution constitutes a rich tradition of devotional discourse in terms of form as well as content.
Year Of Publication: 2008
Pages : xi, 374
Bibliographic Details : With a DVD; Index
Language : English
Binding : Hardcover
Publisher: D.K. Printworld Pvt. Ltd.
Size: 23 cm.
This volume comprises articles that examine the contribution of women saints from India and abroad as well. The articles discuss the origin of bhakti, the Bhakti Movement, and bhakti/saint poetesses like Rishika Gargi, theris, Andal, Lal Ded, Akka Mahadevi, Mirabai, Gangasati, Tarigonda Vengamamba, Janabai, Bahinabai, Madhabi Dasi, Hildegard of Bingen, and Julian of Norwich from different regions and religions. Their contribution constitutes a rich tradition of devotional discourse in terms of form as well as content and has survived till now in folk and learned traditions. The articles discuss their voices, visions and sufferings physical and psychological and also the way they transcended them and voiced them in their compositions. Their uniqueness lies in their existence at multiple levels social, poetic, religious and spiritual among others. The volume would interest literary, cultural historians and religious scholars as well as general readers.
1. In their Own Words and Worlds : Women Saint Poets and Their Poetry
— Avadhesh Kumar Singh
2. The Voice of Women : An Overview
— Nagindas Sanghavi
3. Women and Risika Gargi in Vedic Context
— Yugal Kishor Mishra
4. Therigatha Songs of Bhikkhunis
— Meena Talim
5. Andal : The Ruler of All Hearts
— Rajam Natarajan Pillai
6. Rabia Basri : The Saintly Mystic
— Mumtaz Currim
7. Akka Mahadevi : In Search of Identity
— Girija Shastry
8. The Living Light: The Mystical Experience of Hildegard of Bingen and Julian of Norwich
— Sister Ananda Amritmahal
9. Lal Ded
— Mohd. Zaman Azurdah
10. Madhabi Dasi: The First Oriya Saint-Poetess
— Sulochana Das
— Indra Nath Chaudari
12. Mira, the Ocean of Love and Devotion
— Namvar Singh
13. Marathi Saint Poetesses Janabai and Bahinabai
— Aruna Dhere
14. Tarigonda Vengamamba : Telugu Saint Poetess
— K. Leelavati
15. Gangasati : The Saint of Saurashtra
Revere Mother Power, or Perish
— Morari Bapu