Alternative StandpointsA Tribute to Kalidas Bhattacharyya by: Madhumita Chattopadhyay
The anthology is a tribute to Prof. Kalidas Bhattacharyya, the eminent thinker of twentieth century India. Prof. Bhattacharyya presented philosophy in an original way with scientific spirit. His metaphysics was deeply rooted in the traditions of Advaita Vedanta and Shaivism.
Year Of Publication: 2015
Edition: 1st edition
Pages : xxii, 258
Bibliographic Details : Index
Language : English
Binding : Hardcover
Publisher: Suryodaya Books
The anthology Alternative Standpoints: A Tribute to Kalidas Bhattacharyya is a tribute to Prof. Kalidas Bhattacharyya, the eminent thinker of twentieth-century India, on his birth centenary by his students. A distinguished philosopher and an academician, Prof. Bhattacharyya presented philosophy in an original way with scientific spirit. He was essentially a metaphysician and his metaphysics was deeply rooted in the traditions of Advaita Vedanta and Shaivism. His ultimate concern was to present a theory of freedom and a theory of the possibility of realizing that freedom.
In this collection eminent scholars have written on different aspects of his philosophy. This anthology is divided into four parts the first one concentrating on his metaphysics, the second part dealing with his views on freedom, the third one with education and science and the fourth one is a reminiscence of his student and his family members. In short this anthology tries to present a picture of Kalidas Bhattacharyya as a philosopher and also as a man within the two covers.
This volume is expected to familiarize students and present-day philosophers the persona of Prof. Bhattacharyya and his philosophical positioning and pedagogical skillset.
Short Bio-Data of Prof. Kalidas Bhattacharyya
1. Reflection, Alternation and Meta-Philosophy: An Overview of the Philosophy of Kalidas Bhattacharyya
Kalyan Kumar Bagchi
2. Knowing Beforehand
3. From Language to Metaphysics
Nirmalya Narayan Chakraborty
4. Metaphysics: A Reflective Engagement with Experience
Amitabha Das Gupta
5. Kalidas Bhattacharyya on Object and Content
6. Kalidas Bhattacharyya on Vedantic Anekantavada: An Evaluation
7. Anekanta Vedanta
8. Man as a Natural and Transcendent Being
9. The Concept of Self in Buddhis
10. The Art of Becoming: Kalidas Bhattacharyyas Concept of Freedom
11. Art as Freedom: Aesthetics of Kalidas Bhattacharyya
12. Kalidas Bhattacharyya: The Educationist
13. Evolution of Post-Newtonian Thoughts in Physical Science: From Definite to Indefinite
14. Revisiting Kalidas Bhattacharyya: A Life Merged into Philosophizing
List of Publications of Kalidas Bhattacharyya
List of Contributors