World as Dream...
World as Dreamby: Arvind Sharma
Book exploring the names nuances of the theme of World as Dream in all its richness to establish the plausibility of the philosophers position that though the world appears to be real might turn out to be false like a dream.
Year Of Publication: 2006
Pages : vii, 222
Bibliographic Details : Bibliography; Indices
Language : English
Binding : Hardcover
Publisher: D.K. Printworld Pvt. Ltd.
Size: 23 cm.
The ontological status of the world has been a subject of much philosophical speculation despite the fact that the world is an existential given. According to some philosophers, such existential givenness could turn out to be comparable to the earth’s apparent flatness, with the actual truth turning out to be the very opposite of what it seems. Philosophers often cite the experience of a dream to establish the plausibility of their position that the world might appear to be real while it is being experienced, and yet turn out to be ultimately false like a dream. This motif plays a particularly important role in schools of philosophy in the East and the West which are idealistic in their orientation.
This book explores the nuances of the theme of the world as dream in all its richness.
1. The World as Dream: An Introduction
2. The Antiquity of the Dream Metaphor in India
3. The Dream-Metaphor in Western Religion and Thought
4. The Uses of the Dream-Metaphor in Advaita Vedanta: Ramana Maharshi
5. The Uses of the Dream-Metaphor in Advaita Vedanta: Nisargadatta Maharaja
6. The World as Dream in Hindu Mythology
7. The World as Daydream
8. The World as Dream: Implications of Modern Dream Research
9. The World as Dream and Its Relation to Types of Dreams
10. The Dream Metaphor: Some Problems