Dr Urmi Samir Shah took her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Sanskrit from Elphinstone College, topping in the University of Bombay, followed by B.Lib.Sc. She pursued her doctoral studies from St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad and got involved in academic activities as Associate Professor in Sanskrit at the same college since 1990. Dr Shah has presented more than fifty research papers mostly on the topics of Puranas and Dharmasastras in national and international conferences and seminars.
1. A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE METHODS OF DISPOSAL OF THE DEAD IN THE VEDIC SAMHITAS AND OTHER CULTURES – Presented at the state-level Seminar on “the Vedas” by the Department of Sanskrit, Gujarat University, February 1993, Published in Samamnaya – Journal of Maharshi Veda Vijnana Academy, Ahmedabad, 1993.
2. SRIMAD BHAGAVAD GITA AND THE PRACTICAL VEDANTA (ACCORDING TO SWAMI VIVEKANANDA) – Published in the Bulletin of the Chunilal Vidyabhavan, combined nos. 37-38, 1995-1996, Surat.
3. (Minor Research Project funded by UGC starts) KRSNA – MAHAKAVI BHASA NI DRISTIE – (in Gujarati) – Published as book titled Sanskrit Sahitya-man Shri Krishna, Sanskrit Sahitya Academy, Gujarat State, 1996.
4. (mrp continues) BHAKTI IN THE BHAGAVATA. Presentation at the International Conference of Vedanta, Paramarthadhama, Hrishikesh, 1996.
5. THE ELEVENTH SKANDHA OF THE BHAGAVATA PURANA. Presented at the national seminar on the Bhagavata Purana, by the Department of Sanskrit, Pali and Prakrit, MS University, Vadodara, 1996. Presentation of this topic was done later in Ahmedabad in Gujarati in a popular seminar held by the Antara-rashtriya Pushti Parishad, 2006.
6. LIFE BEFORE LIFE AND LIFE AFTER LIFE: KALIDASA AND PARA-PSYCHOLOGY – (in English) Presented at the national conference – Kalidasa Samaroha, Ujjain, 1993. Published in the Kalidasa Punarnava – Kalidasa Afresh (Shrinivas Rath Felicitation Volume), November 1997.
7. (mrp ends with submission) NAMA-RAMAYANA-MAN RAMA – (in Gujarati) Presented along with Smt. Subbulakshmi’s audio-tape at the National Seminar on “Sri Rama” at Amreli, held by Sanskrit Sahitya Academy, Gujarat State, April 1997. Published as Proceedings in book form by the Akademi, 1999.
8. RAMA IN NAMA-RAMAYANA – (in English). Published in Samamnaya (issue of 1996-97) Journal of Maharshi Veda Vijnana Academy, Ahmedabad, 1999.
9. GUJARAT IN THE PURANAS – Published in Dr. Manilal Prajapati Felicitation Volume, by Sanskrit Sahitya Academy, Gujarat State, 1998.
10. CHARACTER OF PURURAVAS IN THE RIG-VEDA, SATAPATHA BRAHMANA, BRIHADDEVATA AND SRIMAD BHAGAVATA PURANA – Published in Dr. G.K. Bhat Commemoration Volume, by the Sanskrit Sahitya Academy, Gujarat State, 1999.
11. THE VEDIC BASE OF LOKA-SAMGRAHA – Presented in the Vedic Section at 39th All India Oriental Conference, Vadodara, 1998. Published in Samipya, by the B.J. Institute of Research and Learning, Ahmedabad, Vol. XVII, nos. 1-2, April, 2000.
12. TRENDS OF ASSIMILATION AND INTEGRATION IN THE BHAKTI DOCTRINE IN ANCIENT INDIAN LITERATURE – read at the National Seminar on “Trends of Assimilation and Integration in Ancient Indian Literature (with a special reference to the Iranian Tradition)” organized by the Department of Sanskrit, University of Mumbai, March 1999. Published in Indica the journal of the Heras Institute of History and Culture, Mumbai under the title BHAKTI IN THE HISTORY OF INDIAN TRADITIONS. September, 2000.
13. ROOTS OF INDIAN CULTURE IN THE BHAKTI-KAVYA – Presented at the National Seminar on “Roots of Indian Culture as Seen in the Ancient Texts” organized by the Department of Sanskrit, University of Mumbai, March 2000. Published in Purana, Kashiraja Trust, Varanasi, 2000.
14. LIFE BEFORE LIFE AND LIFE AFTER LIFE: KALIDASA AND PARA-PSYCHOLOGY – (Gujarati translation) Published in the Anupama-Kalidasa : Commemoration Volume of the late Prof. A. G. Bhat, Sanskrit Sahitya Akademi, Gujarat State, 2001.
15. A FEW SYMBOLISMS OF BIRDS AND ANIMALS AND THE PHILOSOPHY OF THE PRINCIPAL UPANISADS, published in the Upanisat-srih edited by Dr. Urmila Srivastava as the Arya Garima Visesanka for the Arya Kanya Degree College, Allahabad, 2001.
16. THE CONCEPT OF HAMSA AND PARAMAHAMSA (in the Indian tradition) – Presented in the Purana section at the Xth World Sanskrit Conference, Bangalore, 1997. Published in the Vanmaya – Journal of the Sanskrit Sahitya Academy, Gujarat State, vol. 5, 2002.
17. GAURI-VRATA OF GUJARAT AND THE PURANAS – Presented at the 11th World Sanskrit Conference, Helsinki, Finland, 2003. GAURI-VRATA (GORYO) ANE PRACHINA BHARATIYA PARAMPARA – (Gujarati Translation) – Published in Vahi, a quarterly journal on folk culture published from Lunawada, Gujarat, 2004.
18. ECOLOGY IN SRIMAD BHAGAVAD GITA – Published in Shri Jagannatha Jyotih, journal of Shri Jagannatha Sanskrit University, Puri, 2004. The topic was presented in the Refresher Course at CASS (2003) and at the University of Pennsylvania, USA (2009).
19. SRADDHA AND THE CONTEMPORARY MAN – Published in Shabdakhya-Jyotih : Dr. Vijay Pandya Felicitation Volume, Ahmedabad, 2004.
20. IMPORTANCE OF THE DHARMA-KATHAS IN JAINISM – Presented at the national seminar on The Contribution of the Jaina Acharyas in the medieval age, held by the Department of Sanskrit, Pali and Prakrit, MS University, Vadodara, 2004.
21. 2005-2006 – WAR SCIENCE IN ANCIENT INDIA – Presented in the national conference on “Ancient Indian Scientific Traditions” by Ananthacharya Indological Research Institute, Mumbai, April, 2004. Published in the Institute’s annual volume 2005.
22. THE SELF-BIRD: A COMPARATIVE PRESENTATION – an article on the imagery of the Self as a bird in the Mantropanisad – a collection of poems by Dr. Harshdev Madhav and the work, “Jonathan Livingstone Seagull” by the American writer Richard Bach. Published in Post-Independence Sanskrit Literature: A Critical Survey (Prof. A.M. Prajapati Felicitation Volume), 2005.
23. PSYCHOLOGY OF ANCIENT INDIAN WAR SCIENCE – Published in the Journal of St. Xavier’s College Research Journal, April, 2005.
24. PHILOSOPHY OF DHANURVEDA: ITS APPLICATION IN THE PRESENT SCENARIO, Presented at the XIth World Sanskrit Conference, Torino, Italy, held by CESMEO,Torino, Italy, April 2000.
Published in Prof. R.C. Parikh Commemoration Volume, by B.J. Institute of Learning and Research, under the auspices of Sanskrit Sahitya Akademi, Gujarat State, 2005.
25. Major Research Project funded by UGC starts) BHAGAVATA-NO EKADASHA SKANDHA (in Gujarati) – Presentation at a popular seminar held by the Antara-rashtriya Pushti Parishad, Ahmedabad, 2006. (Based on the English presentation of THE ELEVENTH SKANDHA OF THE BHAGAVATA PURANA. Presented at the national seminar on the Bhagavata Purana, by the Department of Sanskrit, Pali and Prakrit, MS University, Vadodara, 1996).
26. ORIGIN OF VAISNAVISM AND ITS INFLUENCE IN THE MEDIEVAL GUJARAT: Presentation at the state-level seminar on “Madhyakalina Gujarata-man Vaishnava Parampara ane Bhakti tatha Sufi Andolano”, by the B.J. Institute of Research and Learning, 2005. Published in the Golden Jubilee Volume of St. Xavier’s College, April, 2006.
27. VEDA-MAN NARI (=Woman in the Vedas). Presentation in Gujarati, at Jnana-satra 6, National Seminar held by Shri Moraribapu, Mahuva, 2006.
28. ULTIMATE REALITY AND MEANING IN THE INDIAN WAR SCIENCE. Presentation at the International Seminar on ‘Ultimate Meaning in Ancient Indian Texts’ CASS, Pune, December, 2005. Published in the Journal of the Oriental Institute, volume LV, 2005-2006.
29. (MRP continues) WAY OF LIFE IN THE BHAGAVATA PURANA. Presentation at national seminar on Ethics and life in Ancient Texts, held by Samshodhana Mandal, Dharwar, 2007.
30. VAZE – A MAHARASHTRIAN CONTRIBUTOR OF SANSKRIT LITERATURE: COLOSSAL IN COLONIAL RULE. Presented at the national seminar on “Maharashtra’s Contribution to Sanskrit Literature”, CASS, University of Pune, Pune, 2008.
31. (MRP continues) Presentations noted under yearwise section according to the year of publications.
32. (MRP continues) RAMAYANA-MAAN SAMAJIKA CHETANA (in Gujarati). Published by H.K. Arts College, Ahmedabad, under the proceedings of the State-level Seminar on “Social Consciousness in Sanskrit Literature”, 2009.
33. SHULKA IN THE INDIAN TRADITION. Presented at the 14th World Sanskrit Conference, Kyoto, Japan (1-5 September, 2009, in the section 5 – Epics and Puranas: Cultural Contextualization of Women. Chair – Renate Söhnen-Thieme). Published in the Journal of the Oriental Institute, Vadodara, volume 59, nos 1-2, September 2009–December 2009, Issue, pages 35-52.
34. BONDAGE AND FUTILITY OF LIFE ACCORDING TO SHRIMAD BHAGAVATA PURANA.
Presented at the national seminar on “Srimad Bhagavata Purana” by Ananthacharya Institute of Research, Mumbai, March 2009. Awaiting publication in the journal of the Institute, issue 2009-2010.
35. HUMANISM AND RELIGION – Published in the souvenir of silver jubilee celebrations of Gurudharma Pracharana Samiti, Ahmedabad, 2009.
36. (MRP continues – Ends with submission on 30 June 2010)
37. POSITION OF WOMEN REFLECTED THROUGH SHULKA – Presentation at the national seminar on “Position of Women in the Smritis” held at Mumbai by Asiatic Society of Mumbai, August, 2010.
38. QUEENS OF RAMAYANA. Published in the Sumangali – the Journal of Women’s Studies, volume I, Shri Lalbahadur Shastri Sanskrit Vidyapeetha (deemed university), New Delhi, March, 2010.
39. SOCIAL CONSCIOUSNESS IN RAMAYANA – (in English). Published in Alaukika-jnana-yogi : Dr. Ganesh Tryambak Deshpande Felicitation Volume. Dr. G.T. Deshpande Smriti-grantha Samiti, Nagpur, 2011.
40. RASA AND UNIQUENESS OF SANSKRIT DRAMA. Presented at the national seminar on “Philosophy and Aesthetics”, held at K.J. Somaiya Centre for Budhhist Studies jointly with The Department of Philosophy, University of Mumbai, Mumbai, December 2008. Published in Philosophy of Aesthetics (pp. 33-44). Prof. Dr. (Mrs.) K. Sankaranarayan and Prof. Dr. (Mrs.) Shubhada A. Joshi (Gen. Eds.), Dr. (Mrs.) Parineeta Deshpande (Ed.). Somaiya Publications Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, 2011.
41. SELECT MOTHER FIGURES IN THE MAHABHARATA – GANDHARI. Presented at the national seminar on “Re-creations of Female Characters in Mythology” held by the Centre for Women’s Studies, Shri Lalbahadur Shastri Sanskrit Vidyapeetha, New Delhi, 2011.
42. VALLABHACHARYA – LIFE AND MISSION. Lecture delivered in the Annual Lecture Series “Ancient Indian Acharyas”, under the auspices of the Nihshreyas Foundation, New Delhi, November, 2011.
Awaiting publication by the Foundation.
43. STATECRAFT IN THE VEDAS – Presented at the national seminar on “The Administration and Governance in Ancient India” held by the Sanskrit Department, Mumbai University, Mumbai, 2010. Published in Nigama-kalpa-taru (Dr. Gautam Patel Felicitation Volumes on the Vedic Studies (in 2 volumes). Dr. Kireet Joshi (Gen. Ed.). Prof. Kanji Patel, Dr. Manibhai Prajapati, Dr. Urmi Shah (Eds.). Sanskrit Seva Samiti, Ahmedabad. 2011.
44. PLACES OF WORSHIP IN KAUTILYA AND THE STATE. Presented at the national conference on “Kautilya and His Relevance in Modern Times’ at N.S. Patel Arts College, Anand, 2008. Published in Vachaspati-vaibhavam (Prof. Vachaspati Upadhyaya Felicitation Volume), DK Printworld, Delhi, 2011.
45. ETHICS AS REFLECTED IN THE TEACHINGS OF VIDURA AND KANIKA – Presented at the national seminar on “Ethics, Morality and Philosophy of the Mahabharata” held by the Ananthacharya Indological Institute, Mumbai, on 19-20 December 2011. Published in the Journal of Ananthacharya Indological Research Institute (Mumbai), Volume X, 2011-2012. Dr. Ramesh Dave (Ed.), 2012.
46. A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF NITIPRAKASHIKA OF VAISHAMPAYANA AND RAMAYANA (BALAKANDA AND AYODHYAKANDA). Presented at the 12th World Sanskrit Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2006. Published in Battle, Bards and Brahmins (pp. 385-414), Papers of the 13th World Sanskrit Conference , Volume II. Dr. John Brockington (Ed.), Motilal Banarasidass Private Ltd., Delhi, 2012-2013.
47. HUMAN RIGHTS BETWEEN THE EMPLOYER AND THE EMPLOYED. Presented at the national seminar on “Dharmashastras and Human Rights” organized by the Centre for Advanced Sanskrit Studies, University of Pune, Pune, March, 2009. Published in Dharmashastra and Human Rights (pp. 116-29). Dr. Ujjwala Jha (Ed.), New Bharatiya Book Corporation, Delhi, 2012.
48. STOTRAS OF VALLABHACHARYA. Presented at the national seminar on Sanskrit Stotra Literature by the Oriental Institute, Vadodara, December 2008. Published in A Survey of Sanskrit Stotra Literature (pp. 67-82). Prof. Dr. M.L. Wadekar, & Dr. Sweta Prajapati, (Eds.), Bharatiya Kala Prakashan, Delhi, 2013.
49. MADALASA: A MOTHER FIGURE AND INSTRUCTION OF POLITY IN THE MARKANDEYA PURANA. Presentation in the Tridivasiya Sanskrit Samgoshthi held by Delhi Sanskrit Academy, Delhi, 2013.
B. Books (Authored)
1. MAHAKAVI BHASA – a volume in the series of twelve volumes in Gujarati on Sanskrit Literature in Gujarati published by Sanskrit Seva Samiti.
2. SRIMAD BHAGAVATA PURANA – a volume in the series of fifty volumes in Gujarati. Published by the Sanskrit Sahitya Academy, Gujarat State to celebrate the golden jubilee year of the national independence.
3. THUS SPOKE KRSNA – publication of the Ph.D. thesis, Richa Prakashan, New Delhi.
4. A Critical Edition of the Nitiprakashika: A Study in Modern Relevance. Post-doctoral thesis completed under Major Research Project (MRP) funded by the University Grants Commission (UGC), April 2007 – June 2010. Published by funding of the National Mission for Manuscripts, Delhi. Printed by DK Printworld, Delhi, 2014.
THE PATH OF GRACE – in Gujarati for the release of Multi-media CD ROM on Pushti-Marga as the project of the Bhagavata Vidyapeetha, Sola, Ahmedabad.
|There are no products|