Dr Alka Tyagi, a poet, translator and critic, teaches English at Dyal Singh (evening) College, University of Delhi. Her doctoral thesis is on medieval Bhakti poets Andal and Akka Mahadevi. She writes poetry in Hindi and English and her Hindi collection Sun ri Sakhi has been published recently. Dr Tyagi has co-edited, Gendered Space, an anthology of short stories translated from Indian languages into English. She has edited English translation of Kalidasa’s Abhijnanasakuntalam. She has also collected and rewritten a collection of oral and folk tales of wisdom published as Healing Tales. Her areas of interest are Bhakti, Yoga and Tantra Darshan.
1. Review of All India Directory of Art Culture and Allied Centers by Ashok Choudhary and Bishwajit Sinha in The Book Review in Vol. XX, No. 6.
2. Poem “Ravana” published in Indian Literature May-June 1996, No. 170.
3. Article on Flautist G.S. Rajan, “Flautist Par Excellence” in the Hindustan Times on July 13, 1996.
4. Review of the book A Witch Hunt by F.G. Baily in The Pioneer on March 8, 1997.
5. Review of The Endangered Sex by Barbara Miller in the The Pioneer on April 12, 1997.
6. Review of Nativism by Makrand Pranajape in The Pioneer on May 17, 1997.
7. Review of Faith and Fire by Madhu Tandan in The Hindu on July 6, 1997.
8. Review of Exploring Media Culture by Michael R. Real in The Hindu on July 29, 1997.
9. Review of Woman Reborn by Renuka Singh in The Pioneer on July 26, 1997.
10. Review of Mantram Handbook by Eknaath Eswaran in The Pioneer on Dec. 27, 1997.
11. Review of The Book on Trial by Girija Kumar in The Hindu on January 4, 1998.
12. Published Poems like “I am a Woman”, “The Morning Kiss”, “Journey of Life”, “Deconstruction”, “Dying Fire” in The Asian Age on various dates.
13. Review of two books on Raja Rao, The Best of Raja Rao by Makarand Paranjape and Words – as – Mantra, The Art of Raja Rao, Ed. Robert L. Hardgrave Jr. in The Asian Age on September 5, 1999.
14. Review of The Servant’s Shirt by Vinod Kumar Shukla in The Asian Age on Sept. 5, 1999.
15. Review of Collected Plays of Mahesh Dattani in the Indian Literature, literary journal Published by Sahitya Akademi.
16. Review of Is Gharus Ghar by Mukta in the Indian Literature, published by Sahitya Academi, New Delhi, 1998.
17. Review of Murmer in the Woods by Sunil Gangopadhaya in the Indian Literature No. 200.
18. Review of A Storehouse in the Tales by Jehanara Wasi and Malashri Lal, Shrishti: New Delhi in The Tribune on January 6, 2001.
19. Translation of an article “Relevance of Bhakti” by Manager Pande and an interview of the author in the journal Indian Literature No. 206.
20. Translation of preface to first edition of Don Quixote by Cervante’s as “Cervantees” in Samkaleen Bhartiya Sahitya, Hindi bimonthly of Sahitya Akademi, in No. 123, Jan-Feb. 2006
21. Translation of an article from Hindi “Staging of Poetry” by Alakh Nandan in Theatre Business and Management of Men:Indian Theatre in 2000. Ed. H.S. Shivaprakash Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi, 2011.
22. Review article on Making Indian Work written by William Namda Bissel published in March 20, 2010 issue of political weekly, the Mainstream.
23. Article, “At Home with Peace” on Zen practices at Sogenji Zen Monastery, Okayama Japan, in the daily, The Hindu on Oct. 19, 2009
24. Article, “Revisiting Tagore” on Three Novellas: Nashtanir, Dui Bon, Malancha, published in Sahitya Akademi Bi-Monthly Journal, Indian Literature, Nov./Dec. 2010, No. 260.
25. Poems, “The Connection”, “This Moonlit Night”, “Sisters on the Path-I”, “Sisters on the Path-II”, “Ardhaanaarishwara” published in Indian Literature, Sahitya Akademi journal no. 270, July-Aug. 2012.
Literary – Engagements:
1.Read a my short-story “The House of Magpie” in a seminar on children’s Literature held in Janaki Devi Mahavidyalaya, University of Delhi in 1997.
2. Panel Discussant on ” ImageofProstitute” in a seminar on ” Image of Woman Today;Critical and Creative Writing” held in ShaheedBhagat Singh College, University of Delhi in March 1997.
3. Written a short-day on the theme of “Woman and Violence” which was enacted by students ofShyam Lal College in Janaki Devi Mahavidhyalaya, University of Delhi in 1998.
4. Presented a paper on ” Master-Slave relationship in J. M. Koetzee?s In the Heart of theCentury and Nadine Gordimer?s July’s People,” in a seminaron,, Colonialism/PostColonialism/ Neo – Colonialism? in Swami ShrdhhananadCollege, University of Delhi inJanuary 2000.
5. Presented a paper on ” Power of / in Discourse in ShashiDeshpande?s That Long Silenceand Margaret Laurence?s The Diviners” in Swami ShraddhananadCollege, University of Delhi. 2001.
6. Interviewed Professor H. S. Shivprakash, editor ofliterary journal Indian Literature, SahityaAkademi for a National daily publushed in Hindi. 2002
7. Inerviewed Prof. Manager pandey of center for Indian Languages, JNU on Bhakti Movement for India Literature, SahityaAkademi.
8. Presented a paper on “Reading the Popular” in a seminar on “The Aporia between the Textand and its Representation” held in Dyal Singh (eve) College on 19th November 2000.
9. Presented paper on “Cultural Dimensions of Globlization affecting. Women” in a seminar on Globlization held in Indian Social Institute, Lodhi Road, New Delhi in March 2002
10. Read my Hindi poems at Academy of Fine Arts and Literature, New Delhi on July 28, 2002.
11. Read my Hindi poems at Multilingual Poets Meet in Belgaum, Karnataka, India in jan. 2003
12. Presented a paper on “Women as a Rebel in Medieval Bhakti Movement” for the students of a Certificate Course in Women Studies in Dualat Ram College, University of Delhi in December 2005.
13.Translated and presented Premchand?s story “Vaishya” in “National Seminar cum Workshop: Translating Premchand–II” in JamiaMilliaIslamia University in March 2006.
14. presented a paper on ” Negotiating Personal Space: Women Saints’ Attitude to Marriage” for student of a Certificate Course in Women Studies conducted in Daualat Ram College, University of Delhi, on September 9, 2006.
15. Delivered a lectureon “Andal: Ninth Century Women Alvar Saint” at Indaraprastha College, University of Delhi on November 7, 2007.
16. Presented a paper on “Women Bhakta-s” in National Conferenceon “Narrativesof Women and the Indian Nation” held at Daulat Ram College, University of Delhi. November22, 2007.
17. Read my Hindi poems at Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, August2008.
18. Read my English poems at Art Faculty, South Campus, University of Delhi in a poetry workshop “Love and Loud” organized by The English Literary Society, University of Delhi, The PoetrySociety of India, New Delhi and Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi on August 24, 2009.
19. Read my Hindi poems in “Kritya 2010: An International Festival pf Poetry’ held at Central Insititute of Indian Languages, Mysore, Karnataka, India from February 3rd to 5th.
20. Read my English poems in ” VociLontane, VociSorrele” an International Poetry Festival held in Florence, Italy in June 2010.
21. Was a resource person in a symposium called “NavJagriti” organized by Women Development Centre, Swami Shradhanand College. University of Delhi on March 4, 2010.
22. Presented a paper on ” Evolution through Devotion: Akka Mahadevi and Andal” in international Ancient Arts Festival/ Symposium, 2010 held in New Delhi on April 10th-11th, 2010 organized by Rays of Wisdom Society at Azad Bhavam Auditotium, ICCR, Indraprastha Estate, new Delhi.
23. Featured as a resource person in a documentary to Indian epic, The Mahabharata, produced for the Dutch Television. March 24th, 2010 (available on internet,http://ww.ohmnet.nl/program.aspx?, also on youtube, AlkaTyagi)
24. Presented a paper, “Dreams for Awakening” in a seminar organised by SahityaAkademi on “Dreamcathchers: Literature, Creative and Analysis” held in Udaipur, Rajasthan Dec 9th -12th, 2010.
25. Recited my Hindi Poems on the ‘Litrary Forum’ of SahityaAkademi, New Delhi on My 3rd, 2011.
26. Participated as a resource person and a translator in a “Translation Workshop on Anthology of Modern India Poetry(1950-2010) (Rajsthani-English) organised by Sahitya Akademin Jodhpur, Rajsthan from July 6th to July 10th, 2011.
27. A poetic performance called Sun riSakhi (Listen O Friend! ) was held in auditorium. The Attic, Connaught Place, New Delhi for a select audience where renowned Bharatnatyamdancer. AnjanaRajan gave a performance based on my poem in “Sakhi” series, set to music and sung by SudhaRaghuraman, a renowned singer in Kernatic classical tradition. January 12, 2010.
28. “Moral Choices” review of AlokBhalla’s translation of AndhYug (The Age of Darkness) by DharamveerBharti published in The Book Review. Vol.XXXV. No.2 Ffebruary 2011.
29. Read my paper on ” Rhythmof Being” in a seminar on ” Revisiting and Emphasizing Tagore’s pioneering contribution on Gender Inequalities” organized by Maathrubhoomi Foundation, sponosored by Ministry of cluture in New Delhi from Oct 23rd to 25th, 2011.
30. Presented a paper, “Bhavani Prasad Mishra’s ‘KyaKarteRahteHain’: Addressing the Subtle Pain of Living a Borrowed identity in Post-Colonial Situation” at Annual Conference of the ICLALS (Indian Association of Commonwealth Litreature and Language Studies) on The Post- Colonial and/ in the Indian Languages held at University of Luckdown from February 7th -February 9th, 2013.
31. Was invited to Present my Hindi poems at a programme “Symposium and Poet’s Meet on the Occasion of International Women’s Day” organized by SahiyaAkademi on March 8th, 2013.
|There are no products|